Odacité Skincare & Interview with Valerie Grandury
I’ve been a fan of this brand for a while, and had the opportunity to meet its founder, Valerie Grandury, at the Indie Beauty Expo in LA. Valerie is a Parisienne living in Los Angeles, and the name “Odacité" is a play on the French “audacité” meaning “audacity”.
So what’s audacious about Odacité Skincare? In a nutshell, it reverse-engineers skincare. It breaks down products into their individual ingredients and lets you, the consumer, construct your own blends. What’s more, the products are non-toxic, non-GMO, vegan, cruelty-free, and made in California. The Odacité line of high-performance products has three categories: the Fresh Collection, the Pure Element Serum Concentrates, and the Private Collection.
The Fresh Collection consists of foundational products - cleanser, toner, moisturizer, etc. The moisturizers may be used as carriers for the Serum Concentrates and the Private Collection serums.
The Pure Element Serum Concentrates target specific skin needs and conditions, each one containing one or two highly concentrated ingredients. You choose which ones you need depending on your skin type, the season, your hormones, etc., and add a few drops to one of the Fresh Collection moisturizers or your own moisturizer. You can also use them alone for a more intense treatment.
The Private Collection are serums that were originally blended for Valerie’s private clientele. As with the Serum Concentrates, these can be added to a moisturizer or used on their own for a more intense treatment.
If you're wondering, “how do I know which serums are right for me?”, worry not: Odacité’s pretty chart makes it easy and fun to figure it out. Here’s a pic I took of the Odacité “periodic table” at the IBE in LA:
The chart displays each serum, its ingredient(s), and clearly illustrates which skin condition or goal it should be used for. You choose the serum(s) you need, add a few drops to your moisturizer or other creme-based skincare, blend on the back of your hand, and apply. It's true customized skincare that allows you to be your own at-home chemist.
I was lucky enough to meet Valerie and ask her my top 5 burning questions. To hear her explain the benefits of each supercharged serum in the line would make a convert out of anyone. She mixed samples on the back of her hand to show me how it’s done, and was incredibly generous with her time. Here is my Q&A with the lovely founder of Odacité:
1. Keu: The concept of customized skincare is so empowering. Odacité's products, in particular the serums, allow us to target specific skin needs with a veritable chemistry lab of active ingredients. Some of the serums are intended to treat occasional concerns, like Dull Skin, Sensitive Skin, or Pimples. But so many of them seem essential - who doesn't want a Vital Glow, Cell Energy, Hydration, and a Radiance Effect all year-long! Could you tell us which serums should be staples in the skincare routine of a woman in her 30's or 40's?
VG: Aha, that is a good and tricky question, because every skin is unique, different and ever-changing. So my whole concept is about targeting exactly what your skin needs, so you can see beautiful skin every single day. If I had to choose 3 basic ones I would do: 15% Vitamin C An Autumn On The World, as vitamin C is a must-have if you are serious about anti-aging. Bl+C Pimple Serum Concentrate, for those days when hormones or not-so-good diet shows on your face, and Gt+L Radiance Serum Concentrate which works on all skin types and will give you that instant glow.
2. Keu: A central part of the Odacité identity is its Frenchness. As a lifelong Francophile, I'm curious about which aspects of the products, and perhaps the overall sensibility of the line, are the result of your French background?
VG: Born and raised in Paris, I fell in love with California and its natural/green lifestyle. Odacité marries my French luxurious skincare philosophy with the green California revolution. I'm all about visible results without an ounce of toxins. Made in California with French "savior faire”, the best of both worlds :-)
3. Keu: Odacité’s latest product is the Oléosomes Time Release Delivery Creme. It’s an innovative product that I want my readers to know about. You described to me how Oléosomes, which are energy storehouses found in seeds, allow for the steady release of actives onto the skin. Could you explain the benefit of using Oléosomes Time Release Delivery Creme in combination with Odacité's serums?
VG: Oléosomes have been very popular in France and I started to look into it because the research behind it is so amazing. When added to a formula, Oléosomes bring a time-release factor to products, allowing for a delivery of actives and hydration throughout the day. The Oléosomes Time Release Delivery Creme marries Oléosomes with amazing ingredients, like fresh organic aloe vera juice, tea extract, Hyaluronic acid, and carrot seed oil, to create a time-release creme that you mix with your Serum Concentrate to enhance the delivery of actives and target your specific skin concern.
4. Keu: What are the skincare and makeup products you rely on for your morning beauty routine?
VG: I start with a daily gentle exfoliation on dry skin with the Jojoba Beads Exfoliant. Daily exfoliation encourages cell turnover, keeps pores healthy and minimized, and allows for a better penetration of all my products. Follow with Night Time Repair Serum (after age 40, I believe you should use a night cream during the day) mixed with a couple of drops of my Serum du jour. I choose my serum to target exactly what my skin needs: more hydration when I travel, more radiance when I'm tired, etc... And finally a drop of Ba+S Eye Serum on the orbital bone. For makeup I use very little, very French of me on that side:-) A little mineral powder by W3ll People to perfect skin tone, Mesmerize Eyeliner by Vapour, a little Radiance Highlighter by Kjaer Weis, and Lip Balm by Hurraw.
5. Keu: Since I have the good fortune to be able to ask you questions, I will make this one about me! Which Odacité products would you recommend for: (1) replacing my retinol cream with a non-toxic alternative, (2) reducing the large pores on my nose, and (3) achieving your gorgeous glow?
VG: (1) Replacing retinol: use the Bu+L Buriti Lime Serum Concentrate. It is formulated with two rare gems of the Amazonian forest, Buriti and Pequi oils, that are bursting with beta-carotene. The skin will transform the beta-carotene into Vitamin A, acting like a natural retinol. Plus this serum is also rich in Vitamin C and Omegas 3-6-9, precious nutrients to help boost collagen production and maintain skin hydration. Some of my clients use it in combination with their retinol cream to heal the undesirable side effects (redness, flaky dry patches) and enhance the Vitamin A effect.
(2) Reducing large pores on the nose: exfoliate with a gentle exfoliator every other day and follow by applying on damp skin a drop of the Jo+L Serum Concentrate for clogged pores.
(3) Achieving gorgeous glow: your choice of Gt+L Radiance or Wild Carrot Vital Glow Serum. Alternating serums also gives you enhanced results. Just like you do not eat the same food every day, feeding your skin with different actives will make it glow.
And this, my friends, is why French women have that natural effortless beauty.