Swipe. Protect. Plump.
Sunscreen is always top of mind in the summer months (and should be all year-round). But how many of us think about protecting our lips too? The skin on our lips may be darker but it still needs to be protected from UV rays. There are lots of lip balms with SPF out there, but I couldn't seem to find a good lisptick with a safe mineral SPF.
Until I found Suntegrity’s Lip C.P.R. SPF 30.
I’ll get to what I think about it, but first I’ll tell you what one of the leading cosmetic safety organizations, the Environmental Working Group, is saying. The EWG’s scientists review cosmetics for safety according to the methodology outlined in the Skin Deep Cosmetics Database. They assess the ingredients listed on the labels of personal care products based on data in toxicity and regulatory databases, government and health agency assessments and the open scientific literature. The EWG gave Suntegrity Lip C.P.R. a score of 1, which is the highest rating for lip balms with SPF.
This is important because lip products are ingested more than any other cosmetic. Most conventional lip color products contain lead, cadmium, aluminum and other toxic heavy metals. Women apply lipstick 2 to 14 times every day. In terms of chemical exposure, that means ingesting or absorbing as much as 87mg of product a day. Shocking, I know.
Why I love the Ingredients
If you’ve read my post on sunscreens (click here to read), you know that mineral sunscreens are safer alternatives to chemical sunscreens like oxybenzone, homosalate and octinoxate. Mineral sunscreens rely instead on inert minerals - either zinc oxide, titanium dioxide or a combination of the two - that block both UVA and UVB rays (that's what makes them “broad-spectrum"). Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide sit on top of the skin, forming a barrier against the sun's rays. That's why they start protecting you as soon as you put them on.
- Lip C.P.R. contains 18% zinc oxide, providing broad spectrum protection with an SPF of 30.
- Moisturizes and smooths lips with a blend of lipids and oils, including avocado oil, grape seed oil, jojoba oil, shea butter and cocoa butter.
- The star ingredient is its Ultra Filling Spheres™, a technology made from Konjac root powder. I’m going to get nerdy for a minute to explain how these work: Ultra Filling Spheres™ are based on the ability of dehydrated and cross-linked spheres to penetrate the upper layers of the epidermis and absorb the water that evaporates from the deep dermis. Thanks to their tendency to absorb moisture, the volume of the spheres increases rapidly. Once inflated, they tighten the skin, smoothing out wrinkles and leaving an elastic skin surface with long lasting hydration. The result in Lip C.P.R.? Lips are plumped from the inside out and the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines is reduced. [Source: BASF Care Chemicals]
- Suntegrity added a small amount of stevia powder to make the product taste slightly sweet. How smart is that?
- Lip C.P.R. is gluten-free, dairy-free, wheat-free, and GMO-free.
Why I love the formula
- The color looks rich and velvety but feels featherlight on the lips - perfect for the summer months when you don't want heavy lip products.
- The shades have a subtle shimmer that reflects light beautifully and gives dimension to the lips.
- My lips look so full when I wear this. The Ultra Filling Spheres™, together with the hydrating lipids and oils, gives you the most gorgeous pout.
Lip C.P.R. comes in 8 shades, and you can order samples to try before you buy.
My current favorite shade is Sunny Blush - a shimmery baby pink with cool undertones (second from the top).
With such an intelligent formula and 8 wearable shades, Suntegrity has made it easier than ever to keep your lips protected.
Net Wt. 2.8 g / 0.1 oz (US $28.00)
Suntegrity Lip C.P.R. is available at thedetoxmarket.com